Family Wellbeing Workshops
Skills for Life
In a world where parents and children are so busy, family wellbeing days offer a nurturing space to spend quality time together.
Without the distraction of mobile phones, iPads, TV, or household duties, this workshop provides a dedicated time for parents and children to come together.
In this workshop, families will play, learn and practice wellbeing exercises that they can then integrate into their home life.
The Importance of Play –
As adults we become more rigid in our way of thinking and moving. In this workshop parents will reawaken all the main movement patterns in their body, improve their dexterity, flexibility, creativity and sense of joy through expressive practices.
Parents will feel wonderful and children will be over-joyed to learn, play and explore together!
From this place of shared play and expression, both parent and child can better relate to each other, experience a greater bond and feel more ease and comfort in expressing how they feel to each other.
This workshop will run for three hours with two short breaks.
The first section of the workshop will focus on energising every body, releasing nervous tension and getting everyone to a point of release and relaxation. The second section will introduce communication exercises and involve more parent- child exchange. The final phase will focus on how we can care for ourselves and each other and how to integrate the new learning from the workshop into family life.
Workshop Practices Families will learn –
- Talking Circles before / after dinner time, where one at a time each person has everyones attention as they talk freely about their day and what they most want to share and express from it. Each person is practicing active listening and sends love and compassion to the person who is speaking.
- Integrating Mindfulness into walks, car journeys, before bed and even at meal time. Families will learn fun ways to generate interest and awareness amongst the family as they practice calming the mind and slowing down the body.
- ME time, where a child/ adult self determines when they need time for themselves – be it sleeping, drawing, reading or dancing or asking for what they ay need from their parent such as time to play, hug, read or rest together. The practice of ME time empowers children to say what they need as it arises and to learn to better manage their energy and express their emotional needs.
- Expression sessions, where the family play great music that everyone likes and they express themselves in every way they wish in a shared space together- they might dance, sing, sound, draw, roll around, play like jungle animals. These may be a set time of 10 minutes of movement with a 5 minute relaxation and always a sharing circle to end where each person has the chance to share their experience.
- Techniques to improve focus, nervous energy, hyperactivity, difficulty sleeping and reduce worry.
- Families will do partner-exercises and group work that will explain the benefits of soothing touch, breath work, mindful movement, creative exercises / games that encourage responsibility, care, compassion and teamwork.
- Being a parent is demanding- each parent wants the best for their child and to ensure their safety and positive development. Sometimes this may feel like hard-work and it may be a challenge to convey the lightness and fun in our communication that children respond best to.
- Parents will learn ways to bring more playfulness and fun into home life that will improve the bond between family members and support the family’s overall wellbeing – emotional, mental and physical.
- Family workshops are a rare opportunity for both parents and children to observe and learn from each other and a great way to bridge the age difference between them.
- Parents, who are usually the leaders, will experience receiving from their children. Children, who are usually the receivers, get to give to their parents – they will direct some of the exercises and learn how to be responsible and caring for their parent
- Parents get to see how their children learn and how they interact with other children and adults. And children get to see their parents as learners, something that doesn’t happen very often, setting a great example for their children.
- There will be some activities that the children can do better than the parents. This humanizes the parent and eases the pressure that their children’s expectations can create.
- Most of all, this workshop gives parents the chance to care for their wellbeing and be positive role-models for their children. Leading by example, the children will have more respect for the practices they are learning and better understand the effect of doing them.
- The day will be positively reinforced by interaction and exchange between family members that encourages affection and appreciation of each other.
- This workshop offers the skills to create quality time with your family without the need for any resources, entertainment, expense or travel!
Creative Wellbeing Coach & Facilitator:
Laura Sarah Dowdall is a wellbeing expert working one to one, in group and workshop settings, she offers an integrated practice that combines her skills in dance, yoga, meditation, bio-energetic work, reiki and life coaching to create an enriching whole body experience.
“Yoga, mindfulness and meditation can be just the antidote to the go-go, technology-saturated lives in which children are immersed. Dowdall aims to empower them with techniques that they can use in decision-making and in recognising and coping with different emotions.”
– Extract from Irish Times Article in the Family and Health Supplement, September 2017.
Interactive, Personal Reflection, Parent-Child Partnering
Laura is a life coach, yoga, somatic movement and wellbeing expert mentioned in the Irish Times & TV3.
What you need?
Please bring: snacks, a yoga mat, warm blanket & cushion per person.
How to arrange?
Schools or PTAs can contact Laura to arrange these workshops for the students and parents.
For pricing, schedule options and any questions you may have – email@example.com / 087-9633229